These are the children of Robert8 and Maude Logan Elder:
- William Leon Elder
- Martha Ann Elder
- Robert Scott Elder Jr.
- Mary Charlotte Elder
- Maggie Nathalie Elder
- Maude Logan Elder
- Kathryn Cynthia Elder
- Margaret L. Elder
The notes for Robert and Maude Elder are here.
A few family photos are here.
References are given at the bottom of this page.
William Leon was born in 1898 and died in 1933. He appeared with his parents in the Census records for 1900, 1910 and 1920 [records]; I haven't found him in the Census of 1930.
William was born Nov 1898 in Nashville, Tennessee (1900 Census). An undocumented Public Member Tree on Ancestry.com gives his parents as Robert S. Elder and Maude Logan and his birth date as 14 Nov 1898 [record].
William married twice:
(1) Opal M. Switzer, 11 Jun 1921 in Detroit, Wayne County, Michigan [Ref 5] [record]. They divorced [source Robert S. Elder Jr., Wm Leon's younger brother]; William is listed alone in the Detroit City directory of 1921-1922. Opal Elder remarried in 1923 (see below).
(2) Ruth Bartlett, by 1930 in New York [source William Leon Elder III]. Ruth appears in parentheses in Wm L Elder's listing in the Detroit City Directories of 1930-1931 and 1931-1932.
Both wives remarried.
Eric Sandberg (age 24, born 1894 in Sweden) and Opal Elder (age 18, born 1905 in Indiana) married 11 Oct 1923 in Detroit, Wayne County, Michigan [Ref 5] [record].
George B. Haffner and Ruth Elder married 4 June 1935 in Bronx, New York [http://www.germangenealogygroup.com/NYCBridesSearch.asp]
Opal Switzer was daughter of Harry Switzer and Joan Royse [marriage records]; however, my father remembered her as Opal Zumstein. In fact, Frederick and Mrs. Zumstein witnessed her marriage, and Opal lived with them at the time of the 1920 Census (listed as daughter). Perhaps she was adopted. Opal and Eric Sandberg lived in Queens, New York, with no children, at the time of the 1930 Census [Microfilm series T626, Roll 1585, Page 12B].
Ruth Bartlett Elder returned to New York after her husband William died. She and second husband George had three children: daughter Ruth, daughter (name unknown) and son Donald [source William Leon Elder III]. "At the time of Ruth's death in the late sixties or early 70s I believe they still lived in Lake Ronkonkoma NY." (William Leon Elder III). A George B. Haffner was born 17 Jun 1903 and died 23 Jul 1988 [Ref 1].
William had a son Bill, whom I remember visiting us in Michigan around 1950 when he was job hunting. Bill and wife Joan visited my parents in Oregon around 1964; he contacted my mother around 1978 after my father died (Bill was living then in Colorado). He also had a daughter [Ref 2].
- son William Leon Elder Jr. - born 01 Mar 1930; married Joan by 1952 and divorced mid-1960s (divorced and married twice); died 11 Oct 2008 in San Antonio, Texas [Ref 1]
William lived in Davidson County, Tennessee, and Wayne County, Michigan. He may have travelled in connection with his work for Cadillac, as my father did.
William died in 1933 in Detroit, Michigan, and was buried in Roseland Park Cemetery in Detroit. There was no marker on the grave, but there is a burial record in the office. The Public Member Tree on Ancestry.com says he died 23 Feb 1933 in Detroit [record].
Other points of interest
- William Leon was named after his uncle William Leon Logan.
- William Leon Elder appeared in some Detroit, Michigan, city directories from 1918 to 1933:
Year Listing Page 1918 Elder, Leon reprmn b786 Kirby Av w [same as Robt S Elder] 760 1919-1920 Elder, Wm L mach b786 Kirby av w 884 1920 Elder, Leon tester b5415 (449) Avery Av 1173 1921-1922 Elder, W Leon auto mech b5415 Avery Av [same as Robt S Elder] 962 1922-1923 not listed 936 1923-1924 Elder, Wm L r5415 Avery Av 969 1925-1926 not listed 976 1927-1928 not listed 948 1928-1929 not listed 836 1930-1931 Elder, Wm L (Ruth) service mgr h14028Coyle Av 719 1931-1932 Elder, Wm L (Ruth) mgr h14028 Coyle Av 622 1932-1933 Elder, Wm L mgr h14030 Coyle Av
[City Directories of the United States, Detroit, Michigan, Reels 19, 21, 23, 25, 27, 29, 31, 33, 35, 37, 39, 41, Library of Congress]
- William Leon Elder, resident of Colorado and Florida, was found by internet search in May 2010 [http://www.veromi.com/William-L-Elder.aspx] [records]
Martha was born in 1900 and died in 1991. She appeared with her parents in the Census records for 1900, 1910 and 1920 [records]; I haven't found her in the Census of 1930.
Martha Elder was born 28 Aug 1900 [Ref 1, Ref 3] in Nashville, Tennessee (1900 Census).
Martha Elder (born Tennessee, father Robert S. and mother Maude T. Logan) and Lou Sparks (born Illinois, once previously married, father Charles and mother Cora Sargent) married 16 Jan 1924 in Wayne County, Detroit, Michigan; witnesses Charlotte Elder and Mrs. Mim Witty; clergyman Claude D. Witty [Ref 5] [record]
Lou Sparks was born in Mackinaw, Illinois on 27 Oct 1895 [Draft Registration card] to Charles and Cora Sargent Sparks (marriage record); he died 11 May 1953, survived by wife Gertrude Sparks, and was interred in Mackinaw, Illinois [obituary in Detroit News; http://files.usgwarchives.net/mi/wayne/obits/s/sparks566nob.txt]. Charles Sparks and Cora Sargent married 29 Oct 1885 in Tazewell County, Illinois [Illinois Marriages, 1851-1900; Ancestry.com]
Martha and Lou Sparks had two children:
- daughter Dorothy – born 5 Sep 1924; married Robert Clark (born 5 Apr 1920, died 8 Jan 2001); died 11 Dec 1999. Both
were buried in Riverside Cemetery, Plymouth, Wayne County, Michigan [http://www.genealogycenter.info/search_miriverside.php].
- son Daniel – born 29 Mar 1935; married Eleanor; died 15 Oct 2006 in Lansing, Michigan [Ref 1]
Martha Elder Sparks lived in Davidson County, Tennessee and in Wayne County, Michigan.
Martha Sparks died 19 September 1991 in Plymouth, Wayne County, Michigan [Ref 1 and Ref 3, page 10 (funeral announcement)]; buried in Roseland Park Cemetery in Detroit (marker says Mother | Martha A. Sparks | Aug 28 1900 – Sept 19 1991)
Other points of interest
- Martha A. Elder appeared in some Detroit, Michigan, city directories from 1918 to 1924:
Year Listing Page 1918 Elder, Martha clk BAMCo b786 Kirby Av w [same as Robt S Elder] 760 1919-1920 Elder, Martha A clk BAMCo b786 Kirby av w 884 1920 not listed 1173 1921-1922 Elder, Martha A clk GMCo b5415 Avery Av [same as Robt S Elder] 962 1922-1923 Elder, Martha A bkpr Peoples State Bank b5415 Avery Av 936 1923-1924 Elder, Martha A clk Peo State Bk r5415 Avery Av 969
[City Directories of the United States, Detroit, Michigan, Reels 19, 21, 23, 25, 27, 29, Library of Congress]
See Robert S. Elder Jr. notes.
Charlotte Elder was born in 1904 and died in 1932. She appeared with her parents in the 1910 and 1920 Censuses and with her husband Edward Fleissner in the 1930 Census. [records]
Charlotte Elder was born in 1904 in Nashville, Tennessee [family informants].
Charlotte Elder (age 20) married Edward Fleissner (age 21) about 1926 [computed from ages at marriage from 1930 Census].
Edward Fleissner was born 1 Aug 1903 in Washington (1930 Census) to parents Otto A. Fleissner and Emma Christine Saranpa Fleissner; he died 30 Dec 1977 in Hennepin County, Minnesota [Ref 1; Minnesota Deaths and Burials, 1835-1990, FamilySearch]. Emma Christine Fleissner died 21 Apr 1947 in Hennepin County, Minnesota; maiden name spelled "Sorempe" [Minnesota Deaths and Burials, 1835-1990, FamilySearch].
Edward and Charlotte Fleissner had two children:
- son Ronald Edward – born 1929; married Beverly Kay Ness; living (2009)
- daughter Joanne – born 1932; married Harold Leon Hockert; living (2009)
Charlotte Elder Fleissner lived in Davidson County, Tennessee and in Wayne County, Michigan.
Charlotte Fleissner died in 1932 in Wayne County, Michigan and was buried in Roseland Park Cemetery in Detroit (marker says Beloved | Wife & Mother | Fleissner | Mary Charlotte | 1904 – 1932)
Other points of interest
- Mary C. Elder appeared in the Detroit, Michigan, city directory for 1923-1924:
Year Listing Page 1923-1924 Elder, Mary C. phone opr r5415 Avery Av [same as Robt S Elder] 969
[City Directories of the United States, Detroit, Michigan, Reel 29, Library of Congress]
- Charlotte had "Rheumatic Fever when young and died a couple of weeks after her second child was born" [Ref 2]. Husband
Edward moved back to Minneapolis, Minnesota, with the children after her death.
- Ed Fleissner purchased lot 209 in Section 35 of Roseland Park Cemetery with six gravesites; buried there after Charlotte were her brother Leon (1933), mother Maude (1935), sister Martha Sparks (1991), brother-in-law Bud Aubuchon (1992) and sister Nathalie Aubuchon (1999).
Nathalie Elder was born in 1907 and died in 1999. She appeared with her parents in the 1910 and 1920 Censuses and with her husband Alfred Aubuchon in the 1930 Census. [records]
Nathalie Elder was born 19 Dec 1907, Nashville, Tennessee [Ref 1, family informants].
Nathalie Elder and Alfred Vernon (Bud) Aubuchon married before 1930 (1930 Census).
Alfred Aubuchon was born 14 Jul 1903 and died 18 April 1992 [Ref 1]; he was buried in Roseland Park Cemetery, Detroit (marker says Loving Husband & Father | Alfred Vernon Aubuchon | 1903 – 1992). Alfred Aubuchon was born in Missouri to parents John and Jane Profitt Aubuchon [Ref 2].
Nathalie and Bud Aubuchon had two children:
- son Richard (Dick) – born 28 Jun 1931; married RoseMary; died 12 Sep 2003 [Ref 1, Ref 2]
- daughter Carolyn – born 1935; married Jerry Newton (died 1987); living (2010) [Ref 2]
Nathalie Elder Aubuchon lived in Davidson County, Tennessee and in Wayne and Oakland Counties, Michigan.
Nathalie Aubuchon died 01 Jul 1999 in Waterford, Oakland County, Michigan [Ref 1]; she was buried in Roseland Park Cemetery, Detroit (marker says Loving Wife & Mother | Nathalie Elder Aubuchon | 1907 – 1999)
Other points of interest
- Nathalie Elder appeared in the Detroit, Michigan, city directory for 1925-1926:
Year Listing Page 1925-1926 Elder, Nathalie clk r5415 Avery Av [same as Robt S Elder] 976
[City Directories of the United States, Detroit, Michigan, Reel 31, Library of Congress]
- Alfred Aubuchon appeared in later Detroit directories:
Year Listing Page 1937 Aubuchon Alf V (Nathalie) grinder h12634 Marlowe Av 200 1939 Aubuchon Alf V (Nathalie) grinder Ex-Cell-O Corp h16910 Burgess Av 200
[Polk's Detroit (Wayne County, Mich.) City Directory, 1937 and 1939; Ancestry.com]
- "My grandfather was John Earnest Aubuchon who married Jane Profitt. His parents were
Francis Antoine Aubuchon who married Martha Woodside. I'm assuming all records will be in Missouri. My grandmother died
when my dad was 7 years old. My grandfather lived in the Detroit area ..." [Ref 2]
- "If you remember, I stayed with your family for maybe a week or so when both Dad and Dick were in the hospital. That would have been in 1944. We were in the midst of a mini family reunion when Dick became sick. Joanne and I were quarantined in our house for 2 weeks. At the end of that time she went back to Minnesota and I stayed at your place... There was a really bad Polio epidemic in lower Michigan in 1944. Dick almost died several times. He was in an iron lung for internal paralysis and also had the more usual paralysis. During that same time, Dad had ruptured appendix." [Ref 2]
Maude Elder was born in 1909; her death date is unknown. She appeared with her parents in the 1910, 1920 and 1930 Censuses. [records]
Maude Elder was born in 1909 (1910 Census) in Nashville, Tennessee.
Maude Logan married and divorced William Walsh [Ref 2], date and place unknown.
Maude and William Walsh had sons William (Bill) and Donald [Ref 2].
Maude Elder is known to have lived in Davidson County, Tennessee and in Wayne County, Michigan.
Maude Elder Walsh's date and place of death are unknown.
Other points of interest
To be added.
Kathryn Elder was born in 1913 and died in 1994. She appeared with her parents in the 1920 and 1930 Censuses. [records]
Kathryn Elder was born 09 Mar 1913 [Ref 1] in Nashville, Tennessee [family informants].
Kathryn Elder and Clyde P. Lyman married after 1936 [Detroit City directories, family informants].
Clyde Lyman was born 16 Nov 1911 and died 22 Sep 2001 in Kansas City, Kansas [Ref 1]. His parents were Isaac and Amy Lyman (1920 and 1930 Censuses).
Isaac Lyman was born about 1876 in Ohio to parents James and Catherine Lyman [1880 Census, Microfilm series T9, Roll 1033, Page 72D]. Amy Peecher was born 1 Sep 1882 in Illinois to parents Edward/Edwin and Flora Shinn Peecher; she died 3 Nov 1984 in Kansas City, Wyandotte County, Kansas, and was buried in Burbridge Cemetery in Martinsburg Township, Pike County, Illinois [Ref 1; http://www.pikecoilgenweb.org/comments.php?id=7796].
"Kathryn had 8 children, 2 sons and 6 daughters, just like Gramma." [Ref 2]. The children of Kathryn and Clyde Lyman are identified in the 2001 obituary of Clyde Lyman [Kansas City Star, 9/25/2001, page B5]. [record]
- daughter Barbara Lyman - living in 2010
- daughter Judy Lyman - living in 2010
- daughter Nancy Lyman - living in 2010
- son Steven Lyman - living in 2010
- daughter Mary Lyman - living in 2010
- daughter Linda Lyman - born 05 Jan 1948 in Pittsfield, Illinois; married Mr. Sweet; died 12 Dec 2008 in St. Joseph, Missouri [Ref 1; obituary in St. Joseph News-Press, 14 Dec 2008]
- daughter Christine Lyman - living in 2010
- son Christopher Lyman - living in 2010
Kathryn Elder lived in Detroit, Wayne County, Michigan, in Illinois and in Kansas City, Wyandotte County, Kansas.
Kathryn Elder Lyman died 31 Dec 1994 in Kansas City, Wyandotte County, Kansas [Ref 1].
Other points of interest
- Kathryn Elder appeared in Detroit, Michigan, city directories from 1931-32 to 1936:
Year Listing Page 1931-1932 Elder, Kath S (sic) bkpr h9551 Ward Av [same as Robt S Elder] 622 1932-1933 Elder, Kathrine clk h9551 Ward Av 1934 Elder, Kath clk h8393 Manor Av [same as Robt S Elder] 608 1935 Elder, Kathrine sten r8280 Epworth Blvd Apt 311 [same as Robt S Elder] 666 1936 Elder, Kath typist r8280 Epworth Blvd Apt 311 475
[City Directories of the United States, Detroit, Michigan, Reels 39, 41, 43, 45, 0505301, Library of Congress]
- The obituary of Linda L. Sweet appeared in the St. Joseph News - Press, Dec 14, 2008:
Linda L. Sweet, 60, St. Joseph, passed away Friday, Dec. 12, 2008, at Heartland Regional Medical Center. Linda was born on Jan. 5, 1948, in Pittsfield, Ill. She was a graduate of Missouri Western State University. She was a teacher at Lake Contrary School for 20 years, retiring in 2005. Linda was an avid sports fan and was very proud of never having missed any of her son's baseball games. Her sense of humor and wit will be greatly missed. She was preceded in death by her parents, Clyde and Kathryn (Elder) Lyman.
Linda is survived by her son, Jason Sweet and wife Kari, Leawood, Kan.; five sisters, Barbara Kusler, Longmont, Colo., Judy Cutting, Lincoln, Mo., Nancy Chumley, Overland Park, Kan., Mary Beets, Lee's Summit, Mo., and Christie Tiner, Kansas City, Kan.; two brothers, Steve Lyman, Parker, Kan., and Chris Lyman, Overland Park; and several nieces and nephews.
Margaret Elder was born in 1918 and died in 1992. She appeared with her parents in the 1920 and 1930 Censuses. [records]
Margaret Elder was born 12 Sep 1918 [Ref 1] in Detroit, Michigan [family informants].
Margaret Elder and Eric Kinder married after 1934 [Detroit City directory]
Eric L. Kinder was born 25 Mar 1915 and died 21 Apr 1998 at Highland, Oakland County, Michigan [Ref 1]. I haven't identified his parents or his birthplace.
Margaret and Eric Kinder had no children.
Margaret Elder is known to have lived in Wayne and Oakland Counties, Michigan.
Margaret Elder Kinder died 12 Oct 1992 in White Lake, Oakland County, Michigan [Ref 1].
Other points of interest
- Margaret Elder appeared in the Detroit, Michigan, city directory for 1934:
Year Listing Page 1934 Elder, Margt student h8393 Manor Av [same as Robt S Elder] 608
[City Directories of the United States, Detroit, Michigan, Reel 43, Library of Congress]
- WorldVitalRecords.com, Social Security Death Index, http://www.worldvitalrecords.com/indexinfo.aspx?ix=ssdiall
- Carolyn Newton, daughter of Bud and Nathalie Aubuchon, correspondence
- Martha Ann Elder Sparks, correspondence
- Dorothy Clark, daughter of Lou and Martha Sparks, correspondence
- Michigan Marriages 1868 – 1925 at http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#c=1452395;p=2;t=searchable